Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The end of the ugly fabric

Glenda Bailey's blogHere is my process and the end results.  I was hoping for something a little more spectacular but in the end I have to remember that the fabric is not the end work.  This was just a way to change the fabric so I could use it in something else.
So first I took some random rubber stamps and stamped white acrylic paint onto the fabric to try to add some base cohesion.
Next, I used watercolor crayons, a screen and a texture plate that I created using cardboard and a hot glue gun.  I rubbed the texture onto the screen usingthe crayon.  Then I screen printing the image onto the fabric using acrylic medium.
The fabric on the left is the fabric before I screen printed some red dye over the top.  The fabric to the right is my finished "transformed" fabric.
This is my finished fabric.  I think that I got stuck on the idea that I wanted to be able to still see the original fabric in one way or another.  I think if I did this over again, I would not have that mind set.  But, this was still a fun experiment and a way of thinking about altering fabric instead of throwing it out. If you would like to check out my mother's finished fabric check out her blog at Glenda Bailey's blog

No comments: